Deep Tissue Massage Benefits
Deep tissue massage benefits the body because it uses slower strokes with deeper pressure into the muscles to release tension and to break up scar tissue. It incorporates different massage techniques that are used on various layers of the fascia that surrounds our muscles.
This is one of the most popular types of massage therapy, often found in spas and private practices around the world. Usually, it is used to relieve pain in tight, tension-filled muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and/ or joints.
7 Deep Tissue Massage Benefits
- Helps Relieve Chronically Tight Muscle Pain - This massage treats muscles that are chronically tight or need a physiological release of tension. It can be given for the entire body or focused just on the back.
- Helps Release Tension held in muscles - The therapist may use his/her thumb, finger, several fingers together, knuckles, the entire hand, massage stones, or massage tools.
- Using massage tools helps at home helps prevent reoccurance - Massage guns also provide deep tissue release. It is the perfect massage tool to use at home, and is a safe and convenient way to get deep work with visiting a therapist.
- If pressure causes pain to radiate to another area, the area is considered a trigger point.
- Many massage therapists have extensive training in trigger point release.Trigger point therapy is often used in deep massage therapy. Trigger Point Therapy focuses on bands of muscle tissue that release when pressure is added and, in turn, returns the muscle to it's normal function.
- Massage stones may also be used to encourage tight muscles to release and relax. You may also be interested in Deep Massage with Stones, which explains how massage stones are used to do deep massage work.
- If the massage is concentrated on certain troubled areas, such as the neck or back, the session may only be 30 minutes, but it can also be 60 or 90 minute treatment..
Specialized types of massage therapy, like deep tissue cost $65-$95 per hour, depending on the location and experience level of your therapist. Spas may actually charge higher prices, even $20-$30 more.
If deep tissue massage is also given in order to help
alleviate pain associated with a medical condition or syndrome, than the
work may be more specialized, and therefore, slightly more expensive in
Read more about deep tissue using elbows, knuckles and thumbs here: http://www.massageandbodywork.com/Articles/FebMar2005/deeptissue.html
Many different types of massage therapy help to release stress and worry, but one of the best deep tissue massage benefits is that it releases muscle restrictions that cannot be relieved in a
light, swedish therapy protocol.
Go back to Massage Education Guide Homepage