Manual Lymph Drainage   ....
and massage for edema pain!

Manual Lymph Drainage, or lymphatic massage, is performed for patients who experience edema in legs, arms, abdomen and other areas of the body due to improper lymph flow.

Lymph originates as plasma, which is the fluid portion of blood. After the blood is pumped out of the heart, it begins to slow down as it moves through the capillary bed.

Some of the plasma leaves the arterioles and flows into the tissues, where  it becomes interstitial fluid. About 90% of this fluid continues to move through the circulatory system, but the other 10% becomes the lymph.

The lymphatic system consists of nodes (where lymph is filtered), vessels (which carry lymph into and out of the nodes) and organs. Acting as our own personal filtration system, it is responsible for moving the lymph (waste, microorganisms, and other foreign matter) to the organs that eventually move it out of our bodies.

Lymphatic disruption or obstruction is when lymph nodes are blocked. They are responsible for draining the fluid from the tissues and allowing the immune system's cells to travel and distribute throughout the body.

Lymphatic obstruction is also called lymphedema, which means a swelling of the lymph pathways. This can occur for many reasons.

  • Surgery or Scar Tissue
  • Tumors
  • trauma or injury
  • Infection
  • Radiation Treatments

Benefits of Manual Lymph Drainage

The benefits of lymphatic massage include detoxification, increased fluid movement, increased cell regeneration, boosting the immune system and general healing and break-up of scar tissue.

It is a light, rhythmical massage which encourages elimination of waste, excess fluid, and bacteria. It is performed to improve the flow of lymph by stimulating the vessels.

The clear fluid of the lymphatic system has been compared to the oil in cars that requires a filter and is necessary to the function of every part it touches. Important enough, that without out it, function would not happen.

Costs of Lymphatic Massage

A one hour massage is usually $65-$85, depending on the location and experience level of the therapist.

Learning MLD

Read more about classes that teach therapists about MLD techniques at http://www.acols.com/events/mld

This Lymphatic Drainage DVD teaches how to provide this therapy in a clinic, spa, or for your family at home.

This is a short clip of that DVD:

Also known as a great anti-aging treatment, Manual Lymph Drainage  is on the menu of many exclusive spas and is often used to speed recovery from many types of surgery.

Go back Massage Education Guide Homepage

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.

About Me

A few things about me and the creation of Massage Education Guide....

After 20 years of practicing massage, I decided to create an online resource for people who want to learn about massage, and how to relax our minds to release anxiety and stress.

I have had many clients come for massage, only to discover they just needed to talk, or they needed to cry, and let go of pain or worry, or stress, in a place they felt safe

Life has changed a lot over the past 6 months, and going to a spa may not be an option financially, or even safe, with social distancing guidelines.

Finding a way to relax our minds, and release stress and tension at home, is critical for a healthy immune system, as we find our way through this pandemic.

I've created a spa recipe book, filled with easy at-home spa ideas, to help you relax and release stress from your body at home.

Now, because of this virus, I teach folks about the benefits of massage products, essential oils, body scrubs, bath bombs, and other make-at-home goodies that help us de-stress in the comfort and safety of home ... to relax the mind and body, and make life so much better!

What's my passion? Massage therapy always and forever is my love, but helping people learn how to relax at home, is a very close second!

So, let's learn how to  relax, to release stress, and rock this pandemic together!

Solo Build It!