A good lip scrub recipe will not only exfoliate the lips, but will also remove impurities and help nourish chapped lips, helping them heal naturally with ingredients that are perfect for lip health.
Natural remedies for dry, chapped lips are always the best because they use wholesome ingredients that most people have in their home, and it doesn't contain harmful chemicals, artificial ingredients, or toxins....which often defeat the purpose.
Sugar and coconut oil scrub
1 tbsp. Sugar
1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
Mix until you have a thick paste. Massage over lips for 5-10 seconds, and dab off with warm, wet washcloth.
This is one of the most effective lip scrub recipe out there, and it has been used for centuries because sugar is one of the most widely used, natural exfoliant.
Baking soda and petroleum jelly scrub
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. petroleum jelly
Mix together until paste forms, and massage into lips. Remove with a warm, wet washcloth.
Another safe and simple recipe to exfoliate lips, with simple ingredients found in most every household.
Honey and Sugar Lip Scrub
1/2 tsp. honey
1tbsp. sugar or 1 tbsp. brown sugar
A few grains of cinnamon - not even a pinch
Mix together until a paste forms. Massage into lips, and remove with warm, wet washcloth
Luscious Lemon Scrub
1/4 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
Mix until a paste is formed. Massage onto lips for 20-30 seconds, and remove with a warm, wet washcloth.
A caution with this scrub....it may lighten the color of your lips a bit.
Oatmeal Lip Scrub
1 tsp finely chopped or processed dry oats
1 tbsp. milk or water
A few grains of cinnamon (optional)
Mix all together to form a paste. Gently massage onto lips in circular motions for 20-30 seconds.
Remove with a warm, wet washcloth.
Important: Rub lips with a nourishing lip balm after any exfoliation.
1. Don' t bite or chew on lips - if this is a nervous habit, carry chapstick with you all the time and apply it often.
2. For moisturization, use chapstick, a lip balm, or petroleum jelly - especially at night before bed
3. When using a scrub, massage it softly into lips. Hard massage can create dry, cracked lips
4. After exfoliation, be sure to moisturize you lips - they will drink it in!
5. Do not exfoliate lips if they are dry and/or cracked. It can cause more harm than good.
6. Homemade scrubs are best- no need to spend a ton of money on fancy lip scrubs, or pay for this service in a fancy spa. At least when you make your own, you know what's in it!
Read more about Lip Scrubs on Healthline.
There are many ways to exfoliate the lips. A fancy product is not needed at all, nor an expensive add-on service in a spa, costing another $20- $40 more. A simple lip scrub recipe does the trick every time...and does it just as well, maybe better!