Determining Massage Tips
Massage therapy rates and massage tips are determined by the types of massage the therapist provides, the location of the service, and the experience level of the therapist.
Rates are typically $1 per minute, averaging $55-$80 per hour, depending on where massage is provided. Spas, salons, fitness centers, and massage in the client's home is usually more expensive than massage in a therapist's home office.
Many services can even be
higher if it is an advanced type of bodywork therapy, which has required
specialized training by the therapist and/or clinic you are visiting.
You can also expect to pay higher rates for massage therapy (as well as tips) in
larger cities, in a popular vacation destination, in a resort spa, on a
cruise ship, and on remote island destinations.
Tipping...and how to determine the amount!
Tips are often optional, especially private
practice, however, they are a great way to help a therapist know that
they helped you relax or helped your pain level to lessen.
But, how much should you tip and does it matter what amount you leave?
Like many service professions, tipping is used to thank the therapist for providing a great service. Around 15% tip is given when you receive good service and 20% or more is
given when the service is great, and you feel really relaxed and comfortable.
Tipping etiquette in massage therapy
is slightly higher than etiquette for servers in restaurants and hairdressers, as the profession falls under "healthcare provider", rather that "service provider".
Some things to consider:
Massage tips are often based on how relaxed the client was in the massage
- Did the therapist do everything in their power to
ensure quiet and peace?
Did he/she limit any/all other noises, voices and sounds from the area
of the massage room? If the spa,/salon is small, there will be some
- Was the music
soft, slow and without lots of vocal distraction? Words sometimes tend
to evoke emotions, which may be what you are trying to avoid and/or have
a break from.
- Was the the lighting in the room dim? Was an eye pillow used to make sure there is no light in your eyes?
- Were the colors in the room (paint, decor, etc.)neutral? Warm
blue, green or beige colors are usually best!
- Brighter colors tend to make
us excited rather than relaxed.
- Was the furniture comfortable and easy to get into and out of?
- Are the licenses, certificates, diplomas, or degrees hanging
up. This ensures the therapist is qualified to provide the treatment you need.
Massage Tips are also based on "information provided", and in turn, how comfortable you are made to feel
- Did the therapist discuss pain issues that you addressed on an intake form?
- Did the therapist ask if you liked the music?
- OR If you would you like a candle to burn with aromatherapy fragrances?
Did he/she discuss the use of essential oils?
- Did he/she encourage you to tell him/her if the massage is painful?
- Did he/she talk about how to undress (to your comfort level),
where to place your clothes and explain that they leave the room while
- Did the therapist discuss their routine of massage, where they start, where they move from there and how the massage will end?
- Did they talk about gratuity and tell you to make your own
decision about tipping and how much? Or, do they have a small framed
sign that discusses tipping?
For more information on how to tip a massage therapist, you can read this article: http://balancepointmassage.com/massage/tipping.html
You can also leave massage tips based on the whole experience...atmosphere, therapist's personality, comfort, technique, and whether it made you feel truly relaxed!
Go back to Massage Education Guide Homepage
Go Back to Starting Salaries for Massage Therapy from Massage Tips
Apr 17, 16 11:27 AM
Cupping for massage breast health is about the positive effects of cupping therapy on breast cancer patients, and how breast massage can reduce scar tissue pain. Recommended massage videos that teach
Mar 09, 16 02:27 PM
Massage therapy careers are expected to grow over the next 10-12 years, with a projected 20% increase in massage therapist jobs. High paying careers in massage
Mar 08, 16 08:05 PM
Massage therapy careers offer a rewarding and profitable income, but how do you choose which techniques to practice, where you will practice, or what to charge for services