Face Massage can be one of the most relaxing parts of the bodywork session. It includes relaxing strokes over the entire face, with circular movements around the temples, neck, cheekbone, mouth, jawline, and across the forehead.
What are the benefits of doing facial massage?
This is considered to be one of the best anti-aging treatments that you can give your skin. It helps to relieve stress, headaches, PMS symptoms, and helps you attain younger looking, healthy skin.Who can perform facial massage therapy?
The treatment can be done by a professional massage practitioner, by an esthetician, or by you at home.
Some people choose to have the entire one-hour session receiving just facial massage, or enjoy it as a tradition part of a full body treatment.
Many women consider facial massage to be an essential part of their beauty routine. In some countries, women get facial massage weekly to rejuvenate and restore a youthful appearance.
What are the different types of massage therapy for the face?
Traditional Facial Massage - (see steps below) uses circular motions, head massage, sweeping motions, with light strokes around nose, sinuses and cheekbones to release sinus congestion, and reduce puffiness, swelling and inflammation.
Ayurveda Facial Massage - is specialized type of Indian massage because it is uniquely tailored
for the individual. The massage therapist will start by studying your
face and asking questions about your lifestyle to determine the massage
technique and what combination of herbal oils to use. These
techniques help to improve the condition of the skin, encourage natural
oils to flow freely, release tensions within connective tissue, and
naturally tone muscles.
Ayervedic Kansa Wand Facial Massage is a gentle face lifting technique that uses a bronze capped massage wand with organic oils.Chinese Acupressure Facelift Massage - helps reduce facial muscle problems and stress lines, as well as helping to tone, lift, remove tension. This type of massage therapy works 25-27 pressure points in the face, upper body and hands.
Some therapists use only the warm basalt stones for the face, some use only the cool, marble stones, many use both.
Steps of traditional massage for the face
1) Slowly apply circulars motions to the temples. After 5-6 circles, slow down and gently stop and hold for a few seconds.
2) Again, begin using circular motions at the temples. Move down the jawline using those same circular movements.
3) As you make your way back up the jawline, move toward the bridge of the nose.
4) Using your thumbs, slowly make light strokes toward the cheekbone from the bridge of the nose.
5) Now, move toward the chin with circular motions by using the thumb and forefinger to create a sweeping motion toward the ear. Repeat 2-3 times.
6) Move toward the ears and lightly pull at the earlobes.
7) Next, use slow, gentle, circular motions around the cheekbone.
8) Move back toward temples and repeat the circular motions.
9) Next, using the entire palm-side of the hands, start at the chin and sweep the hands down toward the neck and then back up and over ears and temples, adding very light, holding pressure at the temples. Repeat 2-3 times.
Some practitioners use the cool marble stones in massage techniques, making circular movements with them all over the face. Typically, 6-8 stones are used.
10) End by doing neck and shoulder massage for 2-3 minutes. Long sweeping motions around top of the shoulders and up the back of the neck are great. Repeat 2-3 times.
Scalp work or head massage is wonderful at the end and your client will love ending with 1-2 minutes of this work.
At this point you can repeat any of the steps, use cool facial stones, if you have them, or continue on with the rest of the massage session.
Read more about the benefits of facial massage.
There are many benefits of coconut oil used in the face massage. Coconut oil moisturizer helps premature aging, wrinkles and skin sagging and is used in many body care products as well as in Ayurvedic face massage techniques.